Welcome back to Michelle from the Bride Guru. In case you missed Part 1, click here
Imagine YOU, the Bride-to-be taking the 7 Steps to achieve Inner Balance
Step 2- Nourish your body, taking good loving care of you body.
“Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care.” ~Buddha
Our first step was all about self care, which will contribute to learning to love yourself. When you practice enough your imperfections, will be less of a burden and you will see that you are blessed.
Another way to love yourself, is by nourishing your body. Your body is your temple.
- You can find a healthy balance. You’ll feel better and have more energy when you develop healthy living habits, for you body that come so naturally and feel so normal you hardly think about them. You can do this by being regularly active and keeping yourself well nourished without dieting. Take care of your health, but don’t obsess over it or struggle for perfection. Find a satisfying balance of wellness and wholeness that works for you at this busy time in your life and helps you live the way you want now and after the wedding.
- Now is the time to stop obsessing over your external appearance and obtaining an ideal body. Many Brides decide as soon as they get engaged to go on a crash diet or starve themselves. This is not the answer. Instead focus on the way being healthy makes you feel and what it gives you. No need to work on perfecting yourself. In fact, it can be self-defeating, and a big waste of time. Perfection does not exist in the real world. Many women who struggle with eating, weight and body image spend inordinate amounts of energy trying to change their appearance. They make their bodies their life’s work; they put their lives on hold “waiting to be thin.” Don’t waste time and emotions staring at pictures of perfect bodies and wishing to be one of them. If you need visual inspiration, find photos of you at your best, not someone else at their best. Your body is okay. Your size is okay. The good news is that you can change how you feel about your body by changing your self-talk. If you are especially concerned over weight, understand that your body has an opinion of what it should weigh at this time in your life. It regulates weight around a set point that may be nearly impossible to change. Recognise how destructive the obsession to be thin. Your weight is not a measure of your self-worth. Accepting this can give you new freedom.
You are AWESOME, just the way you are. You are unique, capable, loveable, you have special talents and strengths. What if you just let all the negativity go and accept and respect yourself right now. Honour yourself, accept your size, shape and yourself unconditionally.
There are many tools that can be used to help you reframe the way you look at exercise or dieting, to make it more enjoyable and fun, something that will become a part of your new healthy life with your dream man.
Feed your body nourishing food so that you always feel your best, and remove the worries of disease and poor health.
Some quick and easy tips to put into place this week Brides:
- Don’t Drink Too Much Coffee/Caffeine: When burning the candle at both ends, people often find themselves using coffee drinks to jump-start themselves in the morning, and a pattern of all-day coffee drinking often ensues.
- Don’t Eat The Wrong Foods: Due partially to increased levels of cortisol (the stress hormone) stressed people tend to crave foods high in fat, sugar and salt.
- Keep some fruits and nuts close by and snack when you’re hungry. Don’t forget the veg, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and carrots are great snacks!
- Don’t Skip Meals: Another thing overly stressed people tend to do is skip meals. Have you ever found yourself rushing out of the house without a healthy breakfast, or realising you’re starving in the late afternoon because you didn’t eat enough? Consider a juice for a healthy start to the day (green smoothie = Energy!)
- Don’t Mindlessly eat: Stress also makes us prone to emotional eating, when we eat when we aren’t hungry, or eat foods that are bad for us. Have you found yourself mindless snacking on junk food, or eating when you aren’t hungry, because of stress?
- Don’t Forget your water: It’s easy to forget to drink your water. Do you get a full eight glasses per day, or even four?
- Forget Fast Food: It’s easier to just drive through a fast food place or go to a restaurant than to go home and cook something. It is both expensive and Unhealthy.
- Don’t go on a crash diet or starve yourself: Some people intentionally eat less food than they need, or try dangerous fad diets in order to lose the excess weight. Diets that aren’t balanced with fruits and vegetables, protein and healthy carbohydrates can often be bad for your health in the long run, even if they look attractive short-term. And once your big day is here, can you sustain this healthily???
Exercise will benefit your body in many ways relieving the daily stress of life,to release endorphins, to fight anxiety, and to feel good. Meditation can help you get in touch with your emotions, to connect with the bigger picture, and to feel at peace. Release negative thoughts about your body and to focus on the good that it brings you every single day. Make a daily list of your accomplishments and your gratitude. Just like in the rest of life, when we focus on what we don’t have or what we haven’t accomplished, we feel frustrated and ready to give up. Listing your achievements instead puts your focus on what is going right, which in turn motivates you to do more.
Focusing on loving and caring for yourself first will most likely lead to the external transformation that you’ve always wanted. Once you begin to treat yourself with the respect and care that you deserve, the habits needed for physical transformation develop naturally. Real beauty encompasses what’s inside, your zest for life, your fun-loving spirit, a smile that lights up your face, your compassion for others. It’s being friendly, generous and loving, having strength and courage, and respecting yourself just as you are.
You’ll want to nourish your body because you are grateful for it, so healthy choices will come with ease. When an unhealthy choice makes you feel awful, you won’t stand for it because you know you deserve better.
Before you know it, you’ll see your body transform, and not just in fat/muscle composition, but a healthy glow from the inside out.
Look in the mirror, smile, and be happy with what you see. Your beauty shines from within and happy Brides are the prettiest.